Online videos to help you effectively use Butte College Library resources. Click on the links below for a short tutorial on various library resources and services. You can also find a version of all these videos on our YouTube channel.
Introduction to library resources
- Library Web Site - (video 1:56) how to access the library website and how to contact a librarian for help.
Search and Using Library Books & Print Periodicals
- Simple Search - (video 1:54) Using Simple Search to find books, and understanding the Search Results display.
- Advanced Search - (video 2:39) how to use Advanced Search to find books, and how to open an e-book from the Search Results.
- Locating Books in the Library (video 3:22) - how to locate a book using the call number.
- Placing a hold for a book and requesting a book through Interlibrary Loan - (video 2:03) how to place a hold on a book for pick at the Main Campus or Chico Center Library, and how to request a book through Interlibrary Loan.
- Course reserves - (video 2:56) how to search for reserve materials for your courses.
eBook Collection at EBSCOhost - (video 6:53) how to locate, search, and navigate eBooks in the EBSCOhost collection.
Gale Virtual Reference Library - (video 3:42) how to locate, search, and navigate eBooks in the Gale Virtual Reference collection.
- Print Periodicals (video 2:39) - where to find print newspapers and periodicals in the Butte College Library.
- Butte College Library Research Databases - (video 1:40) how to access research databases, and how the databases are organized.
- SIRS Knowledge Source - (video 3:30) how to find research paper topic ideas and background information from SIRS Knowledge Source.
- CQ Researcher Online - (video 4:27) how to find research paper topic ideas and background information from CQ Researcher Online.
- Proquest Direct - (video 5:43) how to perform a search for relevant results in Proquest; search results display, and other useful features.
- Academic Search Premier - (video 2:47) how to perform a search for relevant results in Academic Search Premier; search results display, and other useful features.
- Finding Newspaper Articles - (video 4:59) using NewsBank and other databases to find newspaper articles.
- Getting Citations from Library Databases - (video 2:30) how to get the citations for articles retrieved from different library databases, such as Proquest, EBSCOhost, Wilson Web, etc.
- Finding Scholarly Journals in Butte College Library - (video 3:07) how to find scholarly journals in Butte College Library.
- Boolean Search (video 3:16) - using 'AND', 'OR', 'NOT' to combine search terms for precise searches.
- Truncation (video 1:48) - how to truncate a word, and how truncation helps to expand searches.
- Phrase Search (video 1:10) - using double quotations for phrase search.
- Search Fields (video 4:21) - learn about different search fields and how to choose appropriate search fields for different search terms.
- Book Circulation (video 2:19) - how to check out reserve and regular circulating books.
- Reference (video 1:37) - services available at the reference desk.
- Inspiration Software (8:00) - how to use concept mapping software to organize your ideas and your paper
- Taking Notes & Documenting Sources (video 4:36) - how to take notes and document sources for a research paper.
- Creating an Online Survey (5:23) - how to create an online survey using Survey Monkey (a free Web tool).