Student Loan Packet Links
STUDENT LOAN: How-to Tutorial
Student Loan Packets are available at the Butte College Financial Aid Office. A loan packet must be requested in person by the student applying for a loan. This ensures that the student's file is complete and that they are eligible to apply for a loan.
ENTRANCE Counseling: https://studentloans.gov. ALL BORROWERS.
Must be completed each academic year in which a student requests a loan. Includes Financial Awareness Counseling, which provides tools and information that will assist you in managing your loan and general finances. Sign in with your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). Attach copy of Confirmation page only to loan application. Must be completed for loan to disburse.
Master Promissory Note (MPN): https://studentloans.gov. NEW BORROWERS.
Sign in with your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). Must be linked for loan to disburse. NOTE: 1st-year, 1st-time borrowers are required to complete 30 days of enrollment before their loan can be disbursed at the next available refund date.
Student Loan History: www.nslds.ed.gov. NSLDS is the National Student Loan Data System, the central database for federal student aid. Sign in with your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) and attach a printout of the "Financial Aid Review" page to your loan application.
Salary Surfer http://salarysurfer.cccco.edu/SalarySurfer.aspx. The Salary Surfer, developed by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office, uses the aggregated earnings of community college graduates from a 5-year period to provide an estimate on the potential wages to be earned after receiving a certificate or degree in certain disciplines.
Repayment Calculator: www.direct.ed.gov/calc.htm. The Repayment Calculator will assist you in estimating the monthly payments necessary to repay your loan and to avoid defaulting.
One-Semester Loan Request. Form required for students who indicated on their Direct Loan application that their loan request is for Fall 2014 only.
EXIT Counseling: https://studentloans.gov. ALL BORROWERS.
Must be completed at the end of each academic year, once student drops below six units, or has left school.
1. Sign into https://studentloans.gov
2. Click on Complete Counseling.
3. Complete Entrance and Financial Awareness Counseling.
4. Once both counselings sessions have been completed, you can view and print your confirmation page of completion by clicking "View Completed Counseling".
5. For first-time borrowers at Butte College, please complete MPN by going to step 2. and select "Complete Master Promissory Note". Once completed, student can click on "Completed MPNs" to view and print
6. Log in to www.nslds.ed.gov. Click on "Financial Aid Review," then print page.
7. Students who do not have any financial aid history will receive the statement below. Please print this page and attach it to the student loan packet.