Financial Aid Header

 AB 540 and the California Dream Act

AB-540/Dream Act Resources

California Dream Act FAQ

The California DREAM Act of 2011 allows undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to apply for and receive Cal Grants and Board of Governors Fee Waivers at community colleges as well as institutional and state aid at California colleges and universities.                                                                    California Dream Act

AB 540 Requirements

• Student must have attended a California high school for at least three years OR graduated early from a California high school with the equivalent of at least three years of credits;

• Student must have graduated from a California high school, earned a GED or   passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE);

• If required, student must complete affidavit stating they have filed (or will file when eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.

• Affidavit must be signed and submitted after student graduates from high school.

 Types of Aid

AB 540 students may be eligible for the following California state aid and services:

Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW)

Cal Grant 

• Chafee Grant This grant applies to current or former foster youth that have not reached the age of 22. For more information, please go our Chafee Grant page. 

• Extended Opportunities Programs and Services (EOPS), to apply please pick up an application at the EOPS Office. For more information, call (530) 895-2555.

How to Apply

1. Submit the Residency AB 540 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form to the Butte College Admissions & Records Office for an AB 540 eligibility determination.

2. If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

3. If you are an undocumented noncitizen, or a student who has completed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) process and has been given a Social Security Number, you may be considered for California state aid-only. Please complete and submit the California Dream Act Application, and not the FAFSA.

4. Deadline for Cal Grant application: student must submit either the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by March 2nd. Student should not submit both (see above).

5. GPA Verification Form - to be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by the March 2nd deadline.

     »Continuing Butte College students who have completed 24 units or more will have their GPA Verification automatically submitted by the Butte College Financial Aid Office.

     »High school seniors: GPA Verification form must be submitted by your high school. See your high school counselor.

  AB-540/Dream Act Resources

2015-16 Dream Act Application Instructions

I Can Afford College Dream Act Information

Latino College Dollars

Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)

The California Dream Act: A Guide for Undocumented Students

The Cien Amigos-IME Becas Scholarship Fund

10 things to know about the California Dream Act